Thursday, November 18, 2010

16 Historical Photos - Glimpses of the World and Mankind in its Most Vulnerable State: A Review

This morning I was doing my routine of checking my mails wishing for some great news I received in the mail and true enough there are great news.

One is about a grandiose event at Hotel H2O's Liquid Lounge and Pool which really made me excited and left me looking forward to December. I must say I have to stop myself talking about Liquid Lounge and Pool if I want to keep the details a surprise but I'm just really excited for Liquid Lounge and Pool! To know more about Liquid Lounge and Pool, check out http://iaadamlim.blogspot.com/2010/10/hotel-h20-liquid-pool-and-lounge.html

Another great news I received is a letter from a CCP representative about the tickets I have been trying to get for the play DUGTONG DUGTONG NA SUMBONG (ANG HUKUMAN NI SINUKUAN. For more details, check out my post about the play http://specialeducationphilippines.blogspot.com/2010/10/tanghalang-pilipino-presents-dugtong.html. Remember the last day of DUGTONG DUGTONG NA SUMBONG (ANG HUKUMAN NI SINUKUAN is this Sunday November 21, 2010, 3pm show.

And the last e-mail I read before I go back to my thesis writing was actually coincidental. I opened this e-mail because I want to lessen the unopened e-mails I already have in my inbox. I scrolled down the attachments and one captured my interest, the title says 16 Pictures that Captured the World. Perhaps somebody might think its just another one of those beautiful scenery compilations which you can use as a wallpaper in the computer. I sure was wrong about it because for me these 16 historical photos were glimpses of the World and Mankind in its most vulnerable state. These 16 Historical Photos are more than just pictures for me because I have a ton of things I have to do but look what at what I'm doing now. I'm writing this blog! I guess this really shows my essence: writing about something as moving as this is automatic for me. In my mind, I'm thinking, I've got to share this 16 historical photos. Not sharing this 16 historical photos means depriving the world of information or even an emotion that might inspire them to do something different today.

I've been trying to locate the author or owner of the 16 historical photos Powerpoint presentation in the Internet but due to time restriction I was only able to find one site that linked another site which shows these 16 historical photos. The link was provided by Gary in a comment he posted at http://biiwii.blogspot.com/2010/11/16-historical-photos.html which will bring you to another site http://www.biiwii.com/analysis.htm. At the time this blog is written, the link for 16 Historical Photos can be found in between two articles as shown below. When I clicked the link, I saw the same Powerpoint presentation forwarded to me. Hence, again I cannot mention the name of the author or owner. So for this reason, I would have to give the credit to http://www.blogger.com/www.biwii.blogspot.com for making 16 Historical Photos available to the public.

Media Spins Illusion of Hope & Change Rick Ackerman 11.12.10

16 Historical Photos 11.12.10 ms powerpoint - ot... perspective

Matt Taibbi Takes FraudClosure Mainstream Zero Hedge 11.12.10


To say something about the source, let's ask what is http://www.blogger.com/www.biwii.blogspot.com. According to the website "biiwii" stands for "but it is what it is" which is a financial market realities with a supporting technical analysis website. Biwii is a technical analysis site, a macroeconomic & fundamental opinion site and a reality focused financial resource. Biiwii.com is Not a stock promotion site, a bull market or a bear market site or conspiracy theory site. Biiwii.com - It is what it is.

So how come,
Biiwii.com has a post on 16 Historical Photos? Well it is what it is...

Again to give credit to the site, I urge you to visit
Biiwii.com and get the powerpoint from there to see 16 Historical Photos. The pictures that I will show here are those pictures I got from that touched me tremendously. I also leave it up to you to read the original description of the photo in the 16 Historical Photos powerpoint presentation. Since it can be downloaded for free, I suggest you save 16 Historical Photos. And anytime you feel down, just look at these 16 Historical Photos and remember what these 16 Historical Photos meant.

16 HISTORICAL PHOTOS: A Review

This is the first time I found out her name and I never thought that it will be revealed to me in a Powerpoint named 16 Historical Photos and that I will have a chance to write about her. Thanks to www.blogger.com and to my blogging mentor, Jomar Hilario I have this chance.

Her name is Gharbat Gula. It took 17 years for photographer Steve McCurry to find out the name behind those seething green eyes. I remember when I saw this historical photo on a Reader's Digest magazine, I cut it out and placed it in my folder of "amazing pictures" when I was still young. I looked at this girl and I said "Oh my, if only I had those eyes!" but I know deep inside me no one will really see those eyes for the precious gems that they are because she is Muslim girl in a refugee camp. Gharbat Gula is from Afghanistan.


The next historical photo was taken in 1972. As you can see in the picture there is a naked girl crying. Why is she naked? Because her clothes burned and she is running away from a bombing. She is running for her life, scared and with God knows severe burnt wounds. Despite the odds, Pham Thi Kim Phuc fights for her life and wants to survive. I just remembered the news about a Japanese guy who committed suicide and publishing his death online in live videostreaming just a few weeks ago.What could have happened to him for this guy to lose hope surviving in this world when
Pham Thi Kim Phuc has horror spelled in her face and now etched in her body. To find out the rest of the story on what happened to Pham Thi Kim Phuc after this frightful day, please watch the powerpoint from www.biiwii.com.


This is for me a picture of a child who never gives up hope. Omayra Sanchez, is the name of this Colombian girl who was stuck in the mud you see in this historical photo for three days. She was stuck there up to the last moment of her life. But look at those eyes, those hopeful eyes hoping that somebody might still be able to save her. As a teacher I've seen those eyes before. Its a pleading look "Please don't leave me". There is sadness also behind that gaze but what struck me most were her hands. They were white and bloated as if life from her is slowly leaving its vessel. She is there like a candle with a soft glow but all those around cant do anything but to see her fade away.


I saw this photo in a National Geographic magazine and I remembered the first thing I did was close the magazine right away. I told myself that I must have imagined something wrong because that picture couldn't be really happening. So I dared open the magazine again and I was really horrified to know that I was right in what I saw. At that time, I asked the people around me if the child in the photo survived but I couldn't find the information I desperately wanted to hear that time. Now back in college in some random conversation I was told that the photographer of this historical photo which I now know as Kevin Carter committed suicide. Steve McCurry was very lucky to find Gharbat Gula after 17 years as for this Sudanese child in the photo below, sadly, nobody will know her name or her face. The world never had a chance to make her smile. We only saw her moments of despair and destitution.


The last historical photo may not be as bothersome as the rest of the pictures of the children above. But the story behind the picture is most bothersome for me. This is what will happen if we live life not caring. This photo reminds me of a Yahoo News I just read yesterday on how college students reacted when a speaker collapsed right in front of them. Instead of helping the man, the first reaction of the students was to tweet or update their status with what they saw. They documented the event as if what was in front of them was a television! They were so near yet so far from reality.


So what is the point of this blogpost? Am I ranting? Blaming? Pointing fingers? Putting myself on a pedestal? Oh I am such a better person than you...

No.

as the source of these 16 Historical Photos says...

"it is what it is"

I think that says it all.

"it is what it is"

but does the story ends there?

Definitely no!

And this is where the lesson of PSI comes to my mind - People Synergistically Involved

Synergistically....

We are all connected. So this blog does not aim for us to be hopeless. Look at your child when you get home from work today. Look at your students when you tell them a story. Look at them play and laugh. Do you see hopelessness there? What I see in them is the future. A successful one.

The only question is, what are you doing to make sure the next generation would be successful?

Change starts within you.

As Jack Canfield said in his program Success Principles, "You will always get what you've always gotten if you've always done what you've always did.

Let's all move forward. Today is a different day.

------
The powerpoint presentation 16 Historical Photos can be downloaded from http://www.biiwii.com/analysis.htm.

No comments:

Post a Comment